I’m learning a lot from my chiropractor. Not only does he tell corny “Dad” jokes that I haven’t heard in a while, but he also teaches me new things. The best thing I’ve learned from him so far is the easiest balance exercise to fit into a daily routine.
You ready for it?
Stand on one leg while brushing your teeth!
Keep your knee bent (never lock out legs) and your hands off the counter as much as possible. It’s pretty crazy – when you switch from your left teeth to your right (or vice versa), it really is an extra balance challenge! Plus you already brush your teeth twice a day (I hope) so you are not adding anything extra into your routine – but gaining lots of benefits.
Balance exercises help you:
- become more body aware (you know where your body/limbs are in space), so you decrease the chance for falls and injuries
- improve coordination by causing muscles and muscles groups to work together to balance.
- improve the stability of your joints – especially your ankles, knees and hips!
- improve your reaction time – when your balance is tested, your body has to learn to react fast to upright yourself.
If you are new to balance exercises, start out slow and use a progression:
- Hold on to a wall or steady piece of furniture with both hands.
- Hold on with one hand.
- Use only a few to one finger to hold.
- Lift both hands slightly away from the wall or furniture so they can grab on as needed.
- Move to trying it while brushing your teeth. You may need to hold on with one hand or a few fingers, and that’s ok. Work your way up! You are improving your balance and doing a great job!!
I’ve been doing this daily for a week now and have really noticed a difference in how quickly my muscles fire and react when my balance is tested.